Rocco And His Brothers
HOME DVD AND BLU-RAY AVAILABLE NOW!!!
Martin Scorsese Presents a Film Foundation and Cineteca di Bologna 4K Restoration
“Luchino Visconti’s masterpiece can be experienced once again in all its fearsome beauty and power.”— Martin Scorsese
“A masterpiece…a film of extraordinary range and ambition.” — Dave Kehr
Looking for opportunity, five brothers move north with their mother to Milan. There, Simone and Rocco find fame, in the boxing ring, and love, in the same woman—Nadia. Jealousy mounts, blood is shed, and a striving family faces self-destruction in this incisive, sensuous, emotionally bruising masterwork from director Luchino Visconti (The Leopard, Senso).
With an operatic Nino Rota score and Giuseppe Rotunno’s glimmering, on-location cinematography, Rocco and His Brothers “represents the artistic apotheosis of Italian neorealism,” says A.O. Scott of The New York Times. Drawing from Dostoevsky and Thomas Mann, Visconti arranges his signature themes—modernity, class tension, familial discord—across an epic canvas that directly influenced later Italian-American sagas by Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. Alain Delon, Annie Girardot, Renato Salvatori, and Claudia Cardinale lead the cast of gorgeous unknowns who rose to stardom in the wake of this film’s bow at the 1960 Venice Film Festival, where it was greeted with scandal and won the Special Jury Prize.
Painstakingly restored in 4K by the Film Foundation and the Cineteca di Bologna, Rocco and His Brothers has never looked or sounded so pristine. Praised by Scorsese as “one of the most sumptuous black-and-white pictures,” Rocco’s baroque, impassioned majesty can once again be experienced as its filmmakers intended.
- NEW 4K RESTORATION by the Film Foundation and Cineteca di Bologna
- Video introduction by Martin Scorsese
- New video interview with Caterina d’Amico, daughter of legendary screenwriter Suso Cecchi d’Amico (Rocco, The Leopard, Bicycle Thieves).
- Video interview with cast and crew
- Before-and-after restoration featurette
- Original production outtakes
177 minutes. DIRECTED BY LUCHINO VISCONTI. SCREENPLAY BY SUSO CECCHI D’AMICO, PASQUALE FESTA CAMPANILE, MASSIMO FRANCIOSA, ENRICO MEDIOLI AND LUCHINO VISCONTI. STORY BY LUCHINO VISCONTI, SUSO CECCHI D’AMICO AND VASCO PRATOLINI, BASED ON THE NOVEL IL PONTE DELLA GHISOLFA BY GIOVANNI TESTORI. PRODUCED BY GOFFREDO LOMBARDO. CINEMATOGRAPHY BY GIUSEPPE ROTUNNO. EDITED BY MARIO SERANDREI. MUSIC BY NINO ROTA. ART DIRECTOR MARIO GARBUGLIA. COSTUMES BY PIERO TOSI. STARRING ALAIN DELON, RENATO SALVATORI, ANNIE GIRARDOT, KATINA PAXINOU AND CLAUDIA CARDINALE. RESTORATION FUNDING PROVIDED BY GUCCI AND THE FILM FOUNDATION. COVER DESIGNED BY LAUREN CADDICK.
©1960 TITANUS ©2018 MILESTONE FILM & VIDEO
Rocco and His Brothers DVD UPC: 784148015347 Order Number: Mile00153 ISBN No: 978-1-933920-90-0
Rocco and His Brothers Blu-ray UPC: 784148015354 Order Number: MileBD00153 ISBN No: 978-1-933920-91-7
An Explanation of Home, Classroom, and Public Performance Rights
Through our distribution partner, Kino Lorber, Milestone provides a variety of licensing to suit all needs. Our standard institutional licensing packages are designed to provide colleges, universities and qualified non-profits with the best value for multiple uses, and our one-time community screening licenses allow any organization to exhibit high-quality films for a reasonable fee. Please note that all licensing carries restrictions on audience numbers and/or geographic range.
STANDARD INSTITUTIONAL LICENSING
- CLASSROOM RIGHTS allow unlimited use in face-to-face classroom situations for the life of the media, restricted to a single campus or location. Please note that this license doesn't include public screenings or digital transmission of any kind.
- PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS (PPR) allow educational and nonprofit groups to exhibit our films to groups of 100 or fewer individuals where admission is not charged. The term of the public performance license is for the life of the DVD. However, if you intend to charge admission, expect an audience over 100, or publicly advertise the screening, then we ask that you contact us regarding an exhibition fee. Films purchased without Public Performance Rights are restricted for individual viewing or face-to-face teaching in the classroom only.
- DIGITAL SITE LICENSES (DSL) allow colleges, universities and nonprofits to locally host and stream to their community on a closed, password-protected system for the life of the digital file.
- K-12 PPR comes with limited performance rights so films can be shown in classrooms, at PTA meetings, during after school programs, and transmitted on a closed-circuit system within a K-12 school building or on a single campus.
For all educational licenses and screenings, please Estelle Grosso, Director of Educational and Non-Theatrical Sales & Distribution at Kino Lorber (Milestone’s distribution partner) at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The purchase of DVDs, DVD-Rs, and Blu-rays at the institutional rate by anyone outside of a North American non-profit educational institution does not grant rights for public performance or streaming.
Any continuous or loop screenings as part of a museum exhibition must also be licensed separately. Inquiries must be negotiated directly by emailing email@example.com.
Information for Exhibitors Screening DCPs and Film Prints
All bookings must be made by email correspondence with George Schmalz, Director of Theatrical Sales at Kino Lorber (Milestone’s distribution partner) at: firstname.lastname@example.org to negotiate terms and insure a screening copy is available. An order is only finalized when Kino Lorber sends written confirmation.
DCPs are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing DCPs appear on your invoice. The immediate return or transshipment (as directed) of all DCPs is your responsibility.
DCPs should be returned to:
Milestone Film & Video
38 George Street
Harrington Park, New Jersey 07640-0128
35mm and 16mm prints are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Please do not ship prints back via US Mail. Exhibitor pays to ship both ways. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing prints appear on your invoice. The immediate return of all prints is your responsibility.
Prints should be returned insured for $1,000 to:
Attn: Milestone Account
235 Main Street
Little Falls, NJ 07424
For public screenings, advertising materials can be requested by contacting email@example.com.
Milestone is the exclusive licensor for all the titles in this catalog, all of which are available from Milestone’s distribution partner Kino Lorber. in their complete versions.